GazetteXtra | Print
Print URL:

Janesville kitchen fire displaces 3 people

By Neil Johnson

JANESVILLE—Janesville Fire Department say three residents were displaced from their duplex Friday after aromatic oils being heated on a kitchen stove caught fire, damaging the kitchen.

According to Scott Morovits, shift commander at the Janesville Fire Department, fire crews were called out to the fire, which was at 1407 Frederick St., at about 3:45 p.m. Friday.

A Janesville police officer initially responded, and used a fire extinguisher to knock down the fire, which had spread to the stove's range hood and cabinets in the kitchen.

Morovits said a woman was heating aromatic oils on a stove burner in the kitchen when she noticed the oil was on fire and flames were spreading in the kitchen. She and her 8-year-old daughter evacuated and were not injured.

The fire did not affect a unit on the other side of the duplex.

Morovits said the woman, her daughter and her brother have been displaced by the fire and are being helped by the Red Cross while the kitchen is being repaired and cleaned. The fire caused about $2,500 in damage.