Mystery Place: Long list of farmers has owned this property through the years

Share on Facebook Comments Comments Print Print
Ginny Hall | November 27, 2015

The Adams farm which features a barn quilt is located at W2121 Bloomfield Road in the Town of Bloomfield, Section 5.   If you want to see the barn quilt, “Old Windmill” it is best to view it from Highway 120. When I last saw it the corn was still in the field and the view was difficult. The field should now be clear.

The 1857 Plat Map indicates that this farm was owned by A.W. Roberts. This ownership continues in the 1873 and 1891 Plat Books. The 1882 History of Walworth County relates that Roberts was born in Washington County, New York on March 14, 1817. At age 18 he moved with his parents to St. Lawrence County. At age 33 he came to Walworth County and for the first six years lived in Geneva.  He then purchased the farm in Section 5 from Warren Marsh.

Roberts was married to Ammaeila Nimocks while he lived in St. Lawrence County.  The couple had two children.  William W., a railroad conductor, and Henry O., who died on March 18, 1898. The elder Roberts died in early 1888. The death dates were penciled in the history. Beckwith's History of Walworth County indicates that Henry O. served as Justice of the Peace for the township from 1884 until 1887.

The 1900 Plat Book shows the farm ownership as Geo. A. Cobb.  In the 1907 and 1921 Plat Books the owner is listed as H. Sherman. In 1930 the owner is shown as Henry Sherman.

The 1919 Prairie Farmer's Directory of Farmers and Breeders lists the Sherman brothers George H. and Henry A. and Mrs. Eva Sherman as the owners of Sections 4 to 9 in the Town of Bloomfield. It was a total of 320 acres. The family came to this area in 1879.

The brothers raised Shorthorn beef cattle, Chester White hogs and Shropshire sheep. 

The 1966 Plat Book shows the owners as Samuel and Auga Sherman. In 1977 and again in 1980 the farm was owned by Sam. G. Sipsma.

The 1982 and 1986 plat books show the owner as Don Adams.  Then in 1988 and through the 1996 books the owners are listed as David, Sherry, Richard and Marleen Adams. In 1999 the owner is shown as David J. Adams — the current president of the Walworth County Agricultural Society.

Ginny Hall, a historian from Delavan, is author of the “Walking around ...” and “Meandering ... ” books, which highlight the history of Walworth County communities.


Share on Facebook Comments Comments Print Print