Women held ownership of this farm since 1913
The Pearson farm is located at W9411 Cemetery Road in Section 30 in the town of Sharon. According to the 1857 plat map, the land now encompassed by their farm was owned by John Allen in one plot and Anton Guile in another. The 1873 plat book indicates that John Allen continued ownership of his farm; the other was then owned by E. Lowell.
The 1891 plat book shows Allen's ownership continues but with W.B. Allen. The other farm is now owned by H. Cook. The 1904 plat book shows both farms now as a single entity owned by F.C. Goodrich.
It was in 1913 that the Pearson family started its ownership at this location. According to Anna Belle Pearson, the owner at that time was Kari Pearson.
The 1919 “Prairie Farmer's Directory of Farmers and Breeders” indicates that Oscar Pearson is managing the farm in Section 30. It is owned by Mrs. E. Pearson, who came to this area in 1887.
Oscar married Ellma Spendey. Their farm was named Long View Farm. Research also indicates that Oscar drove a Ford and that their farm had a wood silo.
The 1921 plat book shows ownership to be M. Pearson. In 1927, it had moved to Walter and Maud Pearson. They were the parents of Victor, Harry, June, Iolyn and Vernon. In 1966, the owners were Harry and Anna Belle Pearson. After Harry's death, the owner was Anna Belle Pearson. As of 2011, the owners of this property are Todd and Pam Pearson.
It is interesting to note two things. First, this is now a century farm. Secondly, since the Pearsons became owners, there has always been a woman's name as a part of the ownership — going back before women could vote in this country.
I also learned that the Pearson family has an even longer history in this area. They settled just over the county border in Rock County in 1847. Part of the family has maintained ownership on that land to the present time.
Ginny Hall, a historian from Delavan, is author of the “Walking around ...” and “Meandering ... ” books, which highlight the history of Walworth County communities.