Van Dell Farms property has a long history
A photo gallery of this Mystery Place is HERE
The Vander Veen farm is located on Cemetery Road, north of the village of Sharon. Its official name is Van Dell Farms.
You can see the Rose of Sharon barn quilt at this farmstead. Mary Vander Veen knew she wanted the Rose of Sharon design on their barn quilt before the rest of the family was convinced to join this countywide project.
In the 1857 plat book, Walter Stocking is shown as the owner of this property. Albert Beckwith lists him in his “History of Walworth County” as an associate supervisor for the town of Sharon in 1856, 1859 and 1862. He was chairman of the board of supervisors in 1864.
The 1873 plat book shows John Ladd as the new owner of this land. Beckwith mentioned that he bought a half interest in a steam grist mill in Sharon, which had been built in 1875 by James Ashley. It had four runs of mill stones.
The 1891 plat book again lists him as the owner. Ladd died in 1892 and the farm was owned by his wife, Miranda, and run by their son, Oren E.
John Ladd was a well-known early settler in this township. He came to Walworth County with his brother, Luke, in 1844. They bought a farm in Section 20. His brother died on Aug. 27, 1845. John Ladd returned to New York in 1849 and married Sarah Willmarth. He returned to Sharon with his bride. He retired from farming in 1874 and settled in the village of Sharon. He then went into the drug business as Snowdon & Ladd.
In 1900 the owner is listed as Jno. Stoll. In 1907 Jacobs is shown as the owner. The 1930 plat book lists Geo. Jacobs as the owner; in 1961 G. Jacobs is the owner.
The 1966 plat book shows Ed and Mary Vander Veen as this farm’s owners. The 1982 book indicated the owners as Van Dell Farms Inc.
The barn was built in 1907 by the George Jacobs family. The farm was purchased by the Vander Veens in 1961. They have raised purebred Jerseys for more than 65 years.