Fuzzy Pig shop and restaurant named for barn cat
A photo gallery of this Mystery Place is HERE
The Fuzzy Pig, located on Clover Valley Road south of Whitewater, houses an eclectic shop located in the barn and surrounding buildings and a restaurant.
The name came about because, while Dick Kraus was remodeling his barn, a stray, wild cat came into the area. He used some of the coffee creamers to help tame the cat. The cat continued to come back and beg for more cream to a point where he became so fat Kraus began to call him a fuzzy pig. The name took hold and became the name of his establishment.
Kraus’ father purchased the land on which the shop is now located. Over the years the family bought more land, and now Kraus owns about 1,000 acres in the area.
About 25 years ago, Kraus sold all his cows and the barn was empty. He had a flower shop in Whitewater and Milton at this time.
Kraus thought he might develop his empty barn into a gift shop. He did much of the work himself. It took 12 years to get the building to the point where he could open the shop. That was 13 years ago.
The restaurant opened about seven years ago. At that time the township was dry -- no liquor, wine or beer could be sold. Kraus worked at getting a referendum on the township ballot to make this change. The first referendum lost by a few votes. The next one passed, giving the OK to the selling of wine and liquor. However, a state law indicates that in order to sell liquor, beer must also be able to be sold. This required another referendum. The third referendum took care of that.
Now wine, beer and liquor is available for purchase at the restaurant. It will soon be open several nights each week as well as being open during the day.
The last couple of years, Kraus has developed a haunted house, which is open every weekend in October. Recently he developed this into a huge comedy haunted house. This has attracted his more mature customers.
Part of the land on which the Fuzzy Pig is located was first owned by Ford Tanner, according to the 1857 plat book. A small section in the corner was owned by A. Larkin. The 1873 plat book shows the owners as Lewis Bennett for the larger section and Mrs. Larkin for the corner section.
In 1891, W.D. Warner is listed as the owner of both sections. In 1907, the owner is M.D. Warner. In 1930, the owner is shown as Myron Warner, Est.
In a plat book listed as sometime in the late 1930s to 1940, the owners are shown as L. Freeman and W. Taft.
From 1961 to 1972, the owner is listed as Herbert W. Taft.
In 1980, the owners are shown as Richard Sr. and Frances Kraus. Prior to this, the Krauses owned land in the town of Richmond.