Lake Geneva house fire under investigation
A mattress in this house on Madison St. in Lake Geneva caught fire Feb. 7, causing smoke damage and damage to the basement and first floor of the residence. The fire is under investigation, according to the Lake Geneva Police Department. Terry Mayer photo.
LAKE GENEVA--A fire in a Lake Geneva home Thursday night is under investigation, according to a press release from the Lake Geneva Fire Department.
Fire fighters were called to a residence at 1119 Madison St. at 6:41 p.m. for a reported mattress fire in the home's basement.
According to the release, the family had evacuated the house when crews arrived.
Crews fought heavy smoke in the home's basement, and extinguished the fire which had spread into a first-floor closet and hallway.
No injuries were reported, but the home sustained fire damage to the basement and first floor, with smoke damage throughout.
"This home had a working smoke detector, and we're glad no one was injured," said Lake Geneva Fire Chief Brent Connelly. "We recommend that every home have smoke detectors on every level, and in every bedroom. It made a big difference for us to have a duty crew in the station that could respond to this fire quickly, since fire can double in size every minute. It would also help us if residents could dig out fire hydrants that are buried in the snow."